Monday, January 22, 2007

Technical Services Exchange on February 7th

Good afternoon everyone! I know it’s been a while. I’ve been on the road the last couple of weeks offering a social networking class to the public libraries. I hope some of you were able to attend. The response from all of the TechTracks classes has been awesome so thank you for your attendance and participation. Don’t forget that Library Development will be offering three more TechTracks classes (Instant Messaging in February, Podcasting in March and Flickr in April). If you’re not signed up already, you can do so by visiting the State Library’s website.

I wanted to take this opportunity to remind everyone about the Technical Services Exchange, which will be held on February 7th from 10:00-2:00 at the State Library. We will have a working lunch, with a couple of demonstrations. Box lunches and drinks will be provided. If you have dietary restrictions and you have not already filled out the survey I sent out a couple of weeks ago (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=748973094512), please let me know ASAP so our continuing education folks can try to accommodate. Also, it’s not too late to take the survey and offer suggestions.

The feedback from the survey so far indicates the following topics as being of interest: The Changing Nature of OPACs, Library 2.0 Technologies and How to Handle Series Authority Control. Some other topics of interest: OCLC Services & Products, The Aquabrowser Catalog, RFID and Staff Cross Training. I plan to incorporate as many of these topics into the day as I can and still allow for some open discussion. Because large and small libraries will be represented and our serials librarians will also be joining us, I may break you into smaller groups near the end of the day. These are my thoughts so far. I hope to have a final agenda posted by the end of next week. I will post it here and e-mail to all registered participants. If you have further suggestions, please feel free to contact me at stetterton@statelibrary.sc.gov.

We will meet as usual in Room 309 of the 1430 building. I look forward to seeing you all there!

No comments: